Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Who’s Ferguson?

By Emily Phillips

Many of you have probably noticed the bearded man at the beginning of first hall, but do you actually know him? After interviewing Tim Ferguson, one of the newest members of the science department, I have come to understand that he is just the type of quirky character that Lloyd needs. Musically talented, and an avid comic book collector, Mr. Ferguson is way more than meets the eye.

Starting out as a Skyline employee, Ferguson then advanced to tutoring and banking before landing a job at Conner High School.

“Working in food, in my opinion, should be a requirement for everyone. It teaches humility and how to deal with complaints,” explained Ferguson

Five years after dealing with Conner, he decided that Lloyd was the place for him. With no particular reason for becoming a Juggernaut, Ferguson has shared that he is quite content with our “unique” vibe and appreciates the friendliness and accessibility in which he receives.

“I LOVE what I teach (science). It’s such a great way to look at and understand the world around us.”-Ferguson

With such a passion for his career, Ferguson seems to have only one major complaint: grading papers.

“Not because of the quality of the work that I get, but because I find myself so busy preparing for lessons and actually teaching, student work stacks up and I get overwhelmed,” said Ferguson

This reminds us that teachers have just as a hard of a time as we do.

Outside of school, Ferguson is a part-time employee at his church, Immanuel United Methodist Church. He leads music on Sunday mornings, and he even helps out with the youth group on Sunday nights. I was also proud to learn that he collects/reads comics, sings, and plays numerous musical instruments including the guitar, banjo, and mandolin.

As an added bonus for my interview, I have been able to uncover the reason for his infamous beard.

“The beard is the result of necessity and laziness. Necessity because it keeps my face warm and laziness because I don’t have to shave. In previous years, I’d grow it out in the fall/winter and shave in the summer, but this summer I decided to keep it and see how long I can grow it before my wife makes me shave it. So far so good! I have noticed a lot of attention about my beard. As a person who has one, this has fascinated me. I get a lot of questions about it and I’m happy to answer them,” explained Ferguson.

No comments:

Post a Comment